!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Amy's Blog: Socks That Rock Pooling??

Amy's Blog

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Socks That Rock Pooling??

I have heard so many people gush over the wonderful STR yarn saying that it doesn't pool and how lovely the colors are, so I bought two skeins. I have to say that the yarn is gorgeous and very soft and the stitch definition is unmatched. BUT, I started my first pair of socks with 72 sts on size 1 Addi's and it's pooling terribly.


I laid the sock out so that you could see the pooling in full effect. Although it doesn't look terrible, it's just not what I had in mind. So I need some help from you experienced sock knitters. I have an average size 8 foot. I need to know how many sts is good to use and if there's a better pattern for the Socks That Rock yarn than basic K2P2 ribbing. I just want something that will show off the yarn not so much the stitches in these socks. The colors really are magnificent. This is the Carbon Dating colorway.

10 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger aija said…

    Hi! I love the colorway too-- but I think that STR is *known* for their pooling/striping-- check out all of the Jaywalkers on januaryone.com for an idea of what I mean.

    Good luck with your socks!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    I think they look really cool, but you did say they're not what you had in mind. What are you getting for gauge? You could probably go down to 64 sts; I have not used STR, although I do have a skein waiting to turn into something. If you measure around the ball of your foot & multiply by your sts per inch, you can subtract 10 - 20% to get your total number of sts to cast on.

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger beadlizard said…

    That's swirling and looks really neat if it continues down the leg -- people oooh and aaah over my swirling socks. Pooling is where you get almost vertical blotches with no movement. Did you want the colors to mix more?

    The way to shift the way the color displays is to change the stitch count the way Julie said or change the length of yarn used per round by adding a cable (uses more) or lace (uses less).

    --Sylvia

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I see you don't like it but I love it! It looks really cool to my eye.

    ~Happy owner of one hank (soon to be three hanks) of STR

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger soapy said…

    I'm also a size 8 I cast on 64 sts for my socks knit about 7" leg then the foot 7-8 and 1-2 for toes. usually a total of 9" on the foot length

    Myabe by doing a different amount on your cast on you'll have different results 2x2 or 3x1 riobbing does give enough stretch and yet fit comfortable

    if you don't like the yarn I'll swap with you for something else maybe? I've been dying to get my hands on some carbon but it's been out of stock....;o)

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Actually, I have a question. Where or how did you get the completion meters in your side bar?

    I am waiting for my first STR order. I'm a new sock knitter so I'm "testing" different sock yarns for what will end up being my first choice for gifts. I am currently working on a pair in CherryTree Hill (Peacock). Nice, nice stuff.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    does it matter which side of the yarn you work from? does that cause pooling? it is a fear of mine.

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    I'm in the same boat as you are except not with socks that rock. I wrote about pooling of any sock yarn on my blog just last week. I am moving on to solids.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey, the spirals are kind of cool, but not if that's what you're going for...

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi:) what brand is this yarn , STR?
    dont know of it?
    would like to check it out
    thanx
    peace&blessings

     

Post a Comment

<< Home